Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Family Wars

My two oldest kids were and are best friends.  Very seldom did they fight with each other.  They were in a constant struggle against us, their parents, but always had each other's backs.  There was the time they decided to pack their own lunches.  They would dump the lunches I made into the trash and then pack mustard sandwiches and about 20 mini candy bars.  I don't know how long this went on, but finally Matt's first grade teacher asked me if I needed lessons in nutrition and explained the kids' lunches.

Then, there was the chocolate they spilled on the front room carpet and decided to use bleach to clean it.  Neither one admitted who did what.  There were the mysterious stains on their closet bifold doors that I found years later were the remains of their three musketeer bar sandwiches they would make.

Then the last two came along and they fight constantly.  If one says the sky is blue, the other will fight to the death to say it is not.  It gets to the point where Marty and I just close our door and hope they don't kill each other.  I have read 3 Nephi to them so many times about contention being of the devil that I am sure they could recite it chapter and verse.  Unfortunately, they don't get rid of the contention.

I keep hoping that maturity will help them get along.  I have given the mom lecture of "we are family and we are really all we've got."  "When the chips are down, we will be there and no one else will be."  Blah blah blah.

I will check back post-mission.  Maybe it will be peaceful then.

No comments:

Post a Comment