Thursday, June 6, 2013

Pride Parade SLC


After I watched the movie "Tears for Bobby" I was deeply moved.  I was that mother.  If I prayed hard enough, if he would just do what he knew was right, he just needed to date more girls, etc. and he could be fixed.  When I finished the movie I immediately called Matt and said "please tell me I didn't make you feel less than you are!  Please tell me I didn't say that you were a disappointment to me!"  Later in our conversation I mentioned the final scene where the mother is marching in the Pride parade and she sees a boy that reminds her of her son and she goes to him and hugs him.  I told Matt that I could be the first to hug a person and let them they are not a mistake but that I didn't think I could ever walk in a Pride Parade.

On Sunday, it seemed the most natural thing to get up and walk.  I wasn't being political I was sharing the fact that I love my son, Matt and I am proud of his living an authentic and loving life with Trent.

Along the route, I couldn't believe how emotional it was for me.  To hear people say thank you for loving my son.  There was one young person who had a shirt that said "Born this Way" and was wrapped in a rainbow flag.  I walked over and said that it taken a little but I believe the shirt to be true.  This child wrapped their arms around me sobbing and saying thank you.

I will forever be changed by this.  Some may hope that means my beliefs, nope, if anything, my faith is stronger. My Heavenly Father loves my Matt more than I can even comprehend and he did not create a mistake.  Someday I will understand all of this.  In the meantime, I stand ready to put my arms around any young person wondering if they are a mistake and assuring them they are loved.

I love my Matt!  He has been a joy to raise and I am so proud of the man he is and of his family which includes my Trent.  Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment