Friday, October 14, 2011

Saying Goodbye to a Good Friend -- my cat!


Around Christmas of 2009, a sweet kitty named Cheeto adopted me.  This was during a time that I felt like my whole world was imploding.  We had moved and I didn't feel at home at all where we were living and I was very lonely.  I had found out that Matt was living the gay lifestyle, despite my having prayed almost constantly and wished with all my heart he would choose differently, even if it meant him living an unhappy life (selfish, right?).  I had what could be a called a complete breakdown with this perfect storm of life events.

Into my life, came my cat.  A little orange tabby with golden eyes.  His first family had badly mistreated him and they had even shaved one side of his body.  He was goofy looking but so completely lovable.  Marty hated him from the beginning -- but seeing how much I was hurting and since I was home all day by myself and he wasn't sure what I was capable of doing, he let Cheeto adopt us.  From November 2009 to June 2010, I spent most of my time sitting under my viewmont blanket in the corner of my couch with Cheeto laying in my lap.  There were some days that I was there and he would curl up on my stomach and purr and far too often, I felt like he was the only one that cared whether I lived or died.

He's famous around our neighborhood, not because he's allowed outside, but because he's always in a window watching the world.  He has brought giggles to little ones who would come up to the window to visit and he would put his paw up or stand on his hind legs to visit.  We have hours of fun playing with the laser and I'm pretty sure he sees ghosts.  At night, he decides that the house is his own personal racetrack and he plays NASCAR full speed up the stairs and down and in and out of rooms.  He loves to tear up paper and he thinks that when the printer goes, it is for his entertainment.

I was never a cat person until I had Cheeto.  Countless times as I have been nauseated, he always comes and finds me and climbs onto my stomach and it did feel better.  He's done that for everyone, Rachael, Nic and even Marty, when they have been sick.  So how do you say goodbye to a little creature that has brought so much comfort to me -- I don't know.  Up until this moment, I haven't shed a tear but now I can't stop.  He's sick and I can't fix him and I can't give him to someone else, so I have to put him down. A long time ago, when our family dog was too old and had to be put down, someone told me we would have our animals in heaven.  I really want that to be true.  If animal heaven is based on good works, then Cheeto will be there.

Thank you for your too short life and your unconditional love.  Bye Cheeto!

No comments:

Post a Comment