Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Reflections

I have been very reflective lately about my family, my children, my marriage and the years Marty and I have been together, which is almost 29 years of marriage.

I was thinking about homecoming this year and how Nic didn't really want to go on his first date yet.  He has been best friends with Landon since they were two years old and they want to have a double first date. Landon doesn't turn 16 for awhile, so he decided to wait.  I'm very okay with that idea.

It reminded though of Matt's first school dance.  He took Amy to Davis' Prom the spring of his sophomore year.  I love that picture!  They look so young and innocent and just happy to be hanging out.  Then, Tessa (named changed) turned 16 in July before Matt's Jr. year and he took her a birthday cake that day and asked her to go to homecoming.  It wasn't much time before Matt answered the door and said, "Mom, there's a cow in our front yard."  Tessa had brought a cow to our house with a halo and a sign that said "holy cow, the other girls better mooooove over cuz I'm going to homecoming with Matt."  I'm pretty sure not very many people have been answered with a cow.  It was awesome

And while I'm at it -- why do kids have to go to such extremes to ask and answer for a dance?  What happened to a phone call?  We have sent balloons with letters in them, chocolate pudding in a pumpkins with letters in it, answered with a survivor like tribal council with everyone voting whether they should go to the dance, even our dog had a vote.  We have decorated bedrooms, trashed front yards etc.  Please Nic, just call and ask.  I'm too old for this.

And another thing -- why the all day date?  What if you hate the person you are going with and you are now stuck spending an entire day, plus dinner, plus the dance, plus the porch scene with someone you really couldn't care less about.  Please Nic, do short dates!  I'm way too old for this.

Better yet, let's just skip the whole dating thing until after you get home from your mission.  By then, I will be so old, I won't have an opinion and you can do whatever you want.  Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment