Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Follow up

A better title for this would have been "Dreams Changed."  I am always brutally honest in my writings and this one hit my son, Matt, a little hard.  We had a long talk and he understands me a little better and I understand what he is saying, as well.

One thing I didn't make as clear as I should have is that I do love Trent.  Whenever I am with him, he makes me smile.  He makes my son very happy and I see it.  As hard as this has been for Marty, he really appreciates Trent for this, as well.  He talks about when they are together, you see that they are very happy and while he still struggles, he is growing to love Trent, too.

My intention with the previous post is to put the truth out there that this is a hard thing, but we have learned and adjusted and appreciate what we are as a family now and that includes Trent.  My intention is to let people know that as an LDS parent of a gay child, you can love your child and love who is in his life and still maintain your beliefs.  You do not have to throw the child out to prove you are a worthy member of the LDS Church nor do you have to abandon your beliefs to love your child.  That is exactly opposite of what our Heavenly Father and the Savior would want and the leadership of the Church does NOT want families to disintegrate over this issue.

My dreams are different for Matt now and I will not apologize for saying so, but I do have dreams for him and Trent and they are hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment